Wednesday, October 28, 2009
Thing 6
I've been using Diigo for a little over a year now, and it is bar far the single most useful web 2.0 tool that I've discovered thus far. I say this because it is so practical, and because I use it daily. I work from multiple locations, and I am a self-confessed prolific bookmarker. Diigo allows me to be far more productive than the traditional method of bookmarking not only because I can access my bookmarks from any computer with internet connectivity, but also because I can tag sites and pages, making it easier to find a variety of resources on a given topic with just a few keystrokes. I have used lists and link rolls as well in the ESOL Endorsement courses I teach, and I find it is a really quick way to share resources with the teachers in the courses without much extra work. Beyond the ways I am already using Diigo, I can think of other ways to use Diigo in my professional practice. I am building a wiki for the ESOL program, and I plan to add a page of web resources. Since I already have my bookmarks tagged, I will be able to create lists by topic rather quickly. I love that I can add to the lists that will appear in the wiki as I bookmark them, without even needing to go to the wiki page to add them. If I could share one tip with new Diigo-ers, it would be to take advantage of the feature that allows youto highlight part of the page and then clik the bookmark button in your toolbar and, voila! the text you highlighted appears in the description of the site. If you're like me, as your bookmarks multiply you'll find that this quick description will be very helpful when you need to distinguish between bookmarks that begin to all run together in your memory. If you are interested in anything ESOL, linguistic, or cultural, I hope you'll find something you can use in my library: http://www.diigo.com/user/julie_elmore
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have been using diigo for almost two years now and I must admit that I have either forgotten about the highlight feature or never knew it existed. I'll have to look into that, because my bookmarks could definately use a reorganization. Do you know an easy way to reorganize them.
ReplyDeleteI've been trying to reorganize my bookmarks too. I'm not sure the best way. I think the more tags, the better. I also think detailed lists descriptions instead of general descriptions is helpful. Julie, I agree about the highlighting. This is a very helpful way to go back and revisit important info.
ReplyDelete