This week I've learned that I could spend hours reading blogs without tiring of sneaking inside people's minds in the way that blogs allow me to do. While the posts themselves can be great, I find the comments to be the tasty treats and little surprises that really hook me. (I had the most fun reading the comments to Is It Okay To Be A Technology Illiterate Teacher? and Why I Don’t Assign Homework.)
One thing I noted, at least among the blogs I've visited for this task and my general experience with blogs, is that the genre of blog writing tends to be persuasive / opinion-based. I think that might be why I find reading blogs so engaging--there are so many viewpoints to consider. Blog writing is also less formal than "writing a paper," an attribute that probably goes hand in hand with the greater expression of opinions and original thoughts--all of which I think give these authors' writing more genuine voices. (I find this observation to be true in my own blog writing as well--I write more informally, but I think readers know me better than my professors who've read my "papers.")
Blog reading is an interesting thing to consider. While reading the post itself is similar to reading text forms we are familiar with, but reading comments is another thing. Comment are not always linear, and many layers can develop and take on a life of their own so to say. Reading through comment threads does require a certain "blogging literacy." Comments reveal different viewpoints and opinions. They allow other readers to contribute in a way that traditional "static" texts do not. Ultimately, this is an avenue for making meaning and facilitating critical thinking. As a teacher, it's exciting to open the roles of teacher, facilitator, instructor to others--especially other students. How much more powerful is it for students to have twenty-five different teachers than just one?
Blog reading is an interesting thing to consider. While reading the post itself is similar to reading text forms we are familiar with, but reading comments is another thing. Comment are not always linear, and many layers can develop and take on a life of their own so to say. Reading through comment threads does require a certain "blogging literacy." Comments reveal different viewpoints and opinions. They allow other readers to contribute in a way that traditional "static" texts do not. Ultimately, this is an avenue for making meaning and facilitating critical thinking. As a teacher, it's exciting to open the roles of teacher, facilitator, instructor to others--especially other students. How much more powerful is it for students to have twenty-five different teachers than just one?
Julie, I appreciate your view when you state "all of which I think give these authors' writing more genuine voices." Intellectually, I agree with the idea of constructing knowledge and meaning through a process which makes sure every voice is heard. I try to live this out in my work. However, I am struggling to find the same enthusiasm for blogs. Until I started this class, most of the blog comments that I had read were unnecessarily harsh and critical. This class is slowly changing my mind about the benefits of blogging. Your enthusiasm is encouraging.
ReplyDelete