Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Thing 1-B

Web 2.0 tools have definitely changed my professional practice, and I expect the ways in which we collaborate as professionals today will look different next year, next month, and even tomorrow.  Just a few examples of collaborative tools I use every day that I didn't even know existed a year or two ago: wikis, social bookmarking (I don't know how I ever functioned before Diigo), collaborative spreadsheets (Google Docs), and my new best friend, Doodle.  Again I find myself wondering, how did I ever keep up with all those emails when trying to schedule a meeting before?! 

It is easier than ever to collaborate and to engage stakeholders.  I am not a classroom teacher; I work with teachers in 14 different schools.  Without these tools, communicating and collaborating with so many people in so many locations simply couldn't be maintained at the same level.  I can use a wiki to conduct an asynchronous class session for the ESOL endorsement courses I teach for RESA during weeks that some teachers are on fall break or if I am out of town for a conference, and I can respond provide feedback no matter where I am.  The teachers in the course can learn from each other's posted reflections and assignments, and they can go back to the wiki a year from now to find a particualr resource a classmate posted.  We create Diigo accounts to share bookmarks that we tag for easy retrieval.  Another wiki keeps ESOL program documents, translated documents, standards, resources, and program guidelines current and at teachers' fingertips.  Teachers can post resources they've found so others can use them too.  No more sending documents by email, no more digging through inboxes to find the one that's needed at the moment. 

Why do I want to use these tools?  Why would I want to find even better tools that foster even greater collaboration?  Well, everyone benefits: me, teachers, STUDENTS.  More resources, better resources, greater input, better and more timely feedback, more accurate information, saving time, engaging more stakeholders and engaging them at a higher level, and ultimately impacting student achievement--all pretty good reasons, I think.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I loved your recounting of how you've been using these tools over the past year. It seems like so long ago that I first introduced you to Diigo and wikispaces...*sigh* and NOW look at you! All kidding aside, I think it's amazing how you've integrated these into your own professional practices and courses. What better way to get others to adopt them than by including their use as a part of the course!

    And I have to agree with your reasons for why we would want to take advantage of these tools. The end result - student achievement! Personally, I feel that if we can engage our kids a higher level, which these tools can facilitate, that we'll reap the benefits in the end.

    ReplyDelete